Saturday 15 October 2011

The Donut Philosophy

Herewith the genesis of the Donut Philosophy...

When I was a kid, donuts were one of those things that we had very seldom, and because of their rarity they felt like a Very Special Treat whenever we got them. When I started to make money of my own and had pockets of time during which I was accountable to no one, I found myself frequenting bakeries, working my way through large quantities of the things - fresh and hot with cinnamon, iced with chocolate or strawberry or caramel, filled with jam. The result (aside from the ballooning obvious) was that in a surprisingly short period of time, I started to find donuts very meh - at one point, having absent-mindedly eaten rather too many in one sitting, I even started to actively dislike the things.

This was when I developed the Donut Philosophy - that as adults we necessarily have to practice self-control regarding certain things we like and can easily obtain or get access to, in order to keep those things special (which is often one of the things we most treasure about those things to begin with - as we generally learn when we have transmuted them into the everyday).