Monday 11 June 2018

Back to Ireland: the Rock of Doon

Well my friends, we took a little hiatus while I returned home, to work, to my normal life. However a rainy long weekend beckons, and it seemed a good time to return to Ireland …

When last we met we were in Sligo, at the grave of W B Yeats, found by the first of two happy accidents in a single day. The second such happy accident occurred along similar lines, with a well-placed road and a just-glimpsed road sign along the way. This time it was the Rock of Doon that I found myself a couple of kilometres from, and gladly diverting for.

The Rock was, in ancient times, the coronation-place of the O’Neills, chieftains of Donegal and Ulster, and I’d long wanted to visit it. A short climb up a paved footpath brought me to the top of the Rock, where a glowery day looked down on me, and the sounds of farms and forestry made this place of Celtic history, with all the ghosts of the legends I’d read about it, seem rather ordinary really.

At the foot of the rock is a holy well. This one was said to cure afflictions of the feet, and beside it a couple of nearly leafless small bushes were weighed down by the tokens brought as offerings by the hopeful. Rosary beads, crucifixes in metal and wood, socks upon socks upon socks, and an empty cardboard medicine box.

Offerings at Doon Well

The well itself was housed neatly in a little stone house with well-made wooden doors, and the stations (the prayers which it was believed had to be said to bring on a miracle) inscribed in the stone of the roof. Two plastic measuring jugs sat tidily to one side, filled with water from the well. I glanced up – a couple of houses sat not far off. I liked to think that someone who lived in one of them perhaps made it their job to keep the well ready for visitors.

Doon Well - doors closed ...

... and open.