Thursday 3 May 2018

Aran Islands: goats' cheese

The long walk back to the ferry at Kilronan was fortunately broken when I came across the farm which had produced the fresh goat’s cheese I’d enjoyed at breakfast, and I was delighted to find they had a beautifully set up visitor’s centre – complete with educational displays and large windows through which you could watch the cheese being made. It was fascinating to learn that the young family which started the farm came up with the idea when the husband got tired of spending 10 months of each year away from his wife and small children on fishing trawlers. After some research, they decided to build their goat farm, and from all accounts it’s a great success, with the goats thriving on the wonderful mix of herbs, grasses and other plants which grow naturally on the island. Keen to buy some cheese for my supper, I particularly wanted to try one they made with dillisk, a seaweed grown and collected on the island. They didn’t have any in stock, so the farmer whipped round the back and made some for me – can’t get fresher than that!

Fresh dillisk goats' cheese.
A couple of hours later, back on the mainland and heading for Donegal, I stopped in the midst of the breathtaking Connemarra mountains and ate my dillisk goats cheese on fresh, crispy bread. Sitting there, in the clear wild air, I felt a wordless grace forming – images of thanksgiving for the land, and the goats, the grain, the sea, the dillisk, and the hands which together brought these things together to nourish me on my journey.