Saturday 21 April 2018

The stone forts of Cahergal and Leacanabuaile


The next day was back on the Ring of Kerry, but this time along the sea shore. I was a bit annoyed when my first stop, Ballycarberee Castle, was closed to the public, but this was quickly forgotten when I accidentally found a couple of ancient stone forts nearby. When I wandered into the first one, which has been beautifully preserved, I was quite alone, and happily wandered through what would have one been a stone house in the middle of the fort. I climbed up the steps of the outer wall and peered over it, trying to imagine what the landscape would have looked like millenia ago – a period of time that in itself I find difficult to get my head around.

When other tourists arrived to disturb my serene imaginings, I decamped to the other fort nearby, and although it was more difficult to reach (through a sheep-y field full of mud like you would not believe), and less well cared for than the first, it was much more interesting – featuring the remnants of four houses (I had always wondered how they managed to squeeze multiple habitations into these comparatively small areas), an underground drain, and best of all, a couple of underground tunnels leading to rooms in the metres-thick walls of the fort itself. It is thought that in times gone by these spaces were used for storage, or as hiding-places in the event that unwanted visitors made it through the defences of the fort itself.

Peering over the walls of this fort, you could see the first one, similarly perched on a hilltop only a few hundred metres away. I wondered what the relationship between the inhabitants of the forts was – whether they were friendly with one another, or whether they had built the forts in part as a show of strength one against the other, and glared balefully at one another over the ramparts.