Wednesday 18 April 2018

Ring of Kerry continued: Toc Waterfall, Kenmare


After Muckross House, I whipped round a bit more of the Ring of Kerry. Highlights included Toc Waterfall, which is only about 200m from the road, and in itself is a perfectly fine specimen of a waterfall – not too tall or too sparsely flowing with water to show up decently in a photograph – but I was far more taken by the trees on the short walk up to it. Most of them had a thick moss growing from them, which in the dimmish light of the forest almost appeared fluorescent. I spent far more time trying to get a photo of this beautiful phenomenon which did it justice than I did looking at the waterfall itself!

I also enjoyed visiting Kenmare, where I was particularly keen to see the holy well and famine graveyard. The well itself ranneth over, due to the constant rain Munster (the southern province of Ireland) has been experiencing over the last 6 months, so long before I saw it I was walking through its overflow. Needless to say I now feel exceptionally holy.

Our Lady's Well, Kenmare