Monday 16 April 2018

Muckross Abbey


Today I was aiming for Muckross House and the Gap of Dunloe, but got sidetracked when I accidentally discovered the nearby Muckross Abbey.

The ruins of the abbey visible today were built by the Franciscans in the 15th century. They are well-preserved, and someone has done a terrific job of tidying them up just enough so that visitors can safely explore them, without actually reconstructing the building – which I always hate as I think it takes away the feeling of the age of the building, the sense of being in an actual historical place rather than a replica.

The highlights for me were the reinstated first floor, as this was the first time I realised many of these abbeys often contained two or more storeys – usually with the chapel, refectory (dining room), and other work rooms downstairs and bedrooms upstairs – and the unroofed central courtyard, framed by the cloisters and completed with a yew tree in the centre. These cloisters were almost unique among the ruins I visited as they remained intact – and the yew in the centre of the courtyard, well in a corner, and alternating rain and rays of sunshine made inspired deep and quiet thoughts. If we didn’t know who these abbeys were built by, I wonder if we would have assumed that they worshipped trees …

Cloister courtyard, Muckross Abbey