Thursday 26 April 2018

Cliffs of Moher and the North Atlantic


From the Burren I drove to the Cliffs of Moher, arriving about 7pm. The visitors centre was closed, but there was still plenty of foot traffic. As evening drew in, and the freezing wind off the Atlantic strengthened, all but the hardiest melted away. It was a relief, because somehow the wind alone seemed the right soundtrack for watching the sun go down over that harsh grey ocean.

The Cliffs themselves were fine, but there were others I thought more picturesque – so after a little I drove on along the Wild Atlantic Way. Stretching over 2,500 kilometres and 9 counties, I was to jump on and off this road until I reached Northern Ireland. If you’re ever in Ireland, I recommend it – you’ll find sleepy fishing villages, dramatic cliffs, quiet beaches, and a warm welcome wherever you stop.

On this particular day I was keen to set foot in the North Atlantic, and as twilight continued I found a boulder-strewn Burren beach between the Cliffs and Galway, and tentatively clambered over this geologic abundance towards the shore line. I held tight to my car keys – dropping them here would be a disaster, as the impression that the beach gave was that anything you dropped would fall down through them to the centre of the earth.

Waves were crashing in and it reminded me of Black Head in Gerroa – a place where the wild proximity of the waves and the slipperiness of the rocks always causes my heart rate to escalate. However I found a spot where the waves reliably seemed to peter out and in a brief lull scampered down and stuck a toe in before scrambling back up the rocks and away from the boiling sea.