Sunday 8 April 2018

Cashel continued: the Cathedral Church of St John the Baptist

I spent a lovely bit of time pottering around the rest of the town of Cashel after exploring the rock. I think I'm a terrible tourist, as my happiest memories always seem to take root when I find myself in places where there is no one else, and I can wander and dream without distraction.

For such a small and touristy town, I was lucky enough to find two such places in Cashel. The first was the Cathedral Church of St John the Baptist, whose grounds included a tiny gate lodge with a red door, an ancient library built by a man who loved books, and still more ancient remnants of the city wall which was built around the town of Cashel in the late 13th/early 14th centuries. My favourite part was the old cemetery, with its avenue of trees and patches of daffodils and bluebells, and the church itself, with the kind of welcome that makes my heart sing.

The second place you can read about in tomorrow's post. :)