Tuesday 24 April 2018

Adare

There followed another night on the road, as my goal of reaching the Cliffs of Moher in time for sunset was thwarted by eyes which struggled to remain open. I camped by necessity in Adare, a town with the reputation of being Ireland’s prettiest.

It certainly was very lovely, and impressively boasted a castle, three monasteries, and a manor house with accompanying thatched cottages and cottage gardens scattered round about. I spent a cheerful morning exploring, and my persistence in asking at the Adare Manor Golf Course if I might visit the ruins of a Franciscan monastery on their property paid off with one of the great highlights of the trip – one of the most complete monasteries I’d visited, seldom visited by random travellers or the golfers whose balls I tried to avoid being knocked out by on the way to it (forget moats and murder holes!), and at this time of the year, with the world slowly reawakening, surrounded by a carpet of soft grass and wildflowers.

I wandered dreamily around it for hours, piecing it together in my imagination, so that eventually I felt as though I was standing in one of those scenes you find in history documentaries where they take a ruin and magically return it to how it must have looked in its days of glory. I could nearly hear the footsteps of the monks in the rooms overhead, and the peaceful monotony of their voices at prayer.

This was one of the times when I regretted that my description and photos would do such an inadequate job of describing the experience for you all, so I took a video. You can find it here.