Friday 4 November 2016

Party

Hello everybody,

It's the day before the first big party we're throwing since I came to Rahamim. This one will be for the 150th anniversary of the arrival of the Sisters of Mercy in Bathurst.

It's been an exciting few days but things now have the calmness of what I hope is some good organisation - the marquee and gazebos are up and in readiness for the garden party tomorrow, the portaloos have arrived, the grounds and building have been tidied to within an inch of their existences and are looking their best thanks to the flush of spring flowers crowding the grounds and harvested to fill vases throughout the house.

What's more, the sun is out, which, after the first few icy and pouring-with-rainy weeks I spent here in Bathurst, is something I give thanks for every day, and the house is full of the smell of our Hospitality Coordinator's beautiful paddock-to-plate cooking and the sounds of singing from the Sisters who have come together here for their reunion.

I'm feeling pretty tired today after a few bad nights' sleep - organisational jitters I suppose - hoping I can hold my eyes open until after tonight's events (Mass celebrated by the Bishop in the chapel, to celebrate the 100th anniversary of its building, and to consecrate the new altar which was recently installed there, Green Drinks, a monthly networking event we run, and then dinner at one of the Sisters' places - a big BBQ for Sisters, Bishop, priests, and Rahamim staff). A lovely day, but also the kind when I wish I was less of an introvert than I am as long social days like this tend to make me feel like a sprinter trying to run the marathon - I can do it, but it's not what I'm best at, and by the end I feel utterly exhausted and in need of a day spent quite alone in order to recuperate. I often wonder what it must be like to be an extrovert, to find this kind of thing energising rather than tiring - it's something that seems quite incomprehensible to me.

I don't have a big "bang" to end this post on - it has been written more to grease my writing wheels as it's been a while since my last post. So more to come, I hope, another day soon ...