Thursday 4 August 2016

Ruine Wildschloss – Vaduz, Liechtenstein

Woke late to a cool, rainy morning and, feeling pretty fit, decided to head up to a ruin of an old castle (Ruine Wildschloss) I’d noticed on the map the previous evening. It was a fair walk up to the ruin, but lovely once I got there – however I didn’t have any battery power left on my phone so no photos unfortunately. In some ways though this doesn’t matter very much as the best parts of the ruin wouldn’t have been able to be captured in a photo in any case: the way the base of the castle was surrounded by bluebells and daisies and butterfly bush of a vivid purple I haven’t seemed before, which seemed to glow against the gloomy sky; the smell of the oregano I found growing wild beside the path over the ruin, after I crushed a leaf between my fingers; the sound of the chorus of church bells of Vaduz ringing to call the faithful to church; or the familiar yet foreign sweetness of a tiny wild strawberry I found growing among the rocks.