Friday 22 July 2016

Prague - Day 1

As mentioned at the end of my last post, my first major task for today was to buy a satellite navigation system. The only place I could find one was a shopping centre 11km away from the campsite, and without reliable public transport between the two places I ended up having to leg it.

The walk, although long, wasn't without its attractions - after a full day in the car the previous day, it was nice to be getting some exercise, and the weather was pleasant - around 26 degrees C and sunny. I walked along the Vlatava for a way, among wildflowers, and then through a bit of town to a shared bike/cycle way. The way was wooded on each side, and so it was shady most of the way and I got to see some birds of a type I've never seen before. The popular walk had cyclists and mothers with babies in prams, so it didn't feel lonely, but even so, by the end I was getting pretty tired. 

What joy it was to arrive at the air conditioned shopping centre and find the shop I needed, and the GPS system, and to pay for it and tuck it in my bag, knowing that the remainder of the trip won't be haunted by the churning stomach I've been experiencing every time I've had to try and find my place anywhere in the car.

After a short rest, I found public transport into the town proper and started exploring. Here are some of the day's highlights:

Marionette puppets at the Czech Marionettes shop, which I happened upon quite by accident down a side street.

Frank Gehry's Dancing House.

Basilica Minor in Vyšehrad, with cemetery. The Czech composer Dvorak is buried here.

Street scene - looking south.

View from Vyšehrad, looking north-east over the Vltava.