Monday 23 January 2012

The boy in the Gardens

A colleague told me how, walking, she saw a young British boy with his parents in the Gardens, looking out into the water with his binoculars.

Suddenly, he called out in surprise, "Mum, I can't see any sharks?!"

Poor small thing - he'll probably feel cheated for life (with part of himself - the other part, when he is old enough to reflect on it, will look back on his younger self and chuckle knowingly) because he wasn't able to see any sharks in Sydney Harbour. It is in fact an unfortunate truth that a shark in Sydney Harbour, though I believe it happens, is a fairly uncommon occurrence. I've lived here all my life and never seen one - however I seem to remember we used to have a lot of jellyfish there, you could see them, floating in their clear hundreds, like clouds of miniature hot-air balloons but bound by a different matter in a different state, when catching the ferry to Manly - although I haven't seen any lately. Still, I don't suppose their transparent flaccidity would have been any consolation at all for the lack of gore-chomping, man-eating Great White...