Saturday 7 January 2012

Strawberry milkshake

Serves: 1
Preparation time: 5 mins

Ingredients:
  • 250g strawberries
  • 250 mls milk (dairy or equivalent)
  • 2 tsps almond meal (optional)
  • Honey to taste (optional)

Method:
  1. Remove the leaves/stalks of the strawberries and toss them into a blender.
  2. Add the milk and (if desired) the almond meal.
  3. Blend, pour into a big glass, enjoy.

Notes:
I decided to try whipping this up one day when I had a craving for strawberry milk - you know, the really sugary kind you buy in a carton down at the local service station. I must admit that this recipe didn't really satisfy the sugar craving I had, nor was the flavour spectacular (I didn't use honey, hoping instead that the rice milk I used would be sweetness enough - it wasn't) and the almond meal (which I used to beef the recipe up as I was feeling hungry) gave the thing a bit of a grainy taste.

But although the flavour wasn't spectacular (it wasn't bad, just didn't live up to the massive sugar craving I had), I must admit this concoction was hugely satisfying and I'd make it again as it was great when I was feeling tired and dehydrated after a bushwalk on a hot day.